Tuesday 9 September 2014

The Green Mile Book Review

Last night I finished reading The Green Mile by Stephen King which is the first Stephen King book and I really enjoyed it so I decided to write a short review. (Warning: this may contain spoilers)





 The Green Mile is set in 1932 and is the story of Paul working in Cold Mountain Penitentiary. The story is being told by Paul living in a home where he writes about his time working on the stretch of cells known as the Green Mile where the criminals await death. One of these criminals being John Coffey, sentenced to death for the rape and murder of two young girls. But something about his sentence doesn't seem right when it comes to light that Coffey isn't all he looks to be. Paul is left unsure of whether it is wonders of heaven or hell that have stepped among them.

 Being written in six parts, I found this book easier to read than any other that are this long. Otherwise I would have found it to be too long and far too demanding. I think that if you are the kind of person who likes to have a book broken up into smaller sections I would recommend it. Saying this, I would say that I did find this book too long. It was good and a lot did happen but I do think there were pointless parts that did not need to be included as it was made unnecessarily long. 

 I began this book having already been told it was sad which maybe ruined it a little bit for me. Throughout I was waiting for something worse to happen which is exactly what I got. Although I didn't cry, it was sad and I do think that if you are that kind of person then you WILL cry.

 Thank you for reading, hope to see you next time. Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment