Thursday 8 January 2015

Amanda Prowse Christmas for One Book Review

This was the book I read over Christmas and only finished a few days ago. Over all I thought it was good as before reading I had extremely low expectations. My opinion was definitely changed. (Warning: review contains spoilers)



Christmas for One is the story of Meg who, from a young age, always dreamed of a perfect Christmas. Now Meg is older and living with her son Lucas after hisdad died. In early December she is asked to go to New York for work. Whilst there she meets Ed who at first Meg is extremely unimpressed with due to his rude introduction but it's not long before they fall completely in love. But of course Meg must leave soon which is sad for the couple so they decide to meet again in the new year. After a while, Meg decides she can't wait any longer to see Ed so she lets Lucas go on a holiday with family friends while she returns to New York for Christmas. At the beginning, Meg is very excited but that soon changes when arriving at Ed's apartment to find he has a girlfriend. She then goes back home to London, thinking she will spend Christmas alone but it's not long before her estranged mum shows up at the door. They spend a few days together, Meg starts to feel like everything is falling into place and she might even get her perfect Christmas. But before that can happen, her mum leaves in the night and Meg is left alone once again. Christmas goes by and soon Lucas comes home. Meg is still upset about the events from New York and with her mum when she comes home to see Ed. In the end, Ed explains that everything with his "girlfriend" was a misunderstanding and he really loves Meg. 

When I started reading Christmas for One, I thought it would actually be quite bad but it exceeded my expectations. There was a lot to like about the book. First there were the characters who were all likable. I can't work out if this next point is bad or good. But the whole book felt a bit like I was reading fanfiction. This was because there were just many descriptions and speeches that I would read in a story about someones OTP. I do like fanfiction so it wasn't bad but it didn't feel like the place for writing in that style. 

It may have just been my copy of the book but there were a few mistakes. A couple of words were spelt wrong and some sentences had words missing. At first I thought that I was wrong but after a while, it seemed like they were genuine mistakes. Obviously this isn't a problem with the book it's just a publishing problem. 

One thing about this book I definitely loved was the ending. It ends with a chapter that is one year later and I thought that it gave the perfect ending. Maybe a little obvious. There were a lot of emotional moments that could have been incredibly cringey but I thought they fit in very well. Overall I'd give Christmas for One three stars.

Comment below what you thought of this book, if you've read it. That's all for now, hope to see you next time. Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment