Wednesday 26 August 2015

Paper Towns

On Friday this week my sister and I went to see the Paper Towns film and I loved it. Paper Towns is one of my favourite books so I had quite high expectations. I read the book a while ago so didn't really remember why it was a favourite of mine but after the seeing the film , that became clear. That's why today I thought I would share with you my thoughts on the film.

If you don't know, the film Paper Towns is based on the book by John Green. It follows the story of Quentin who is a shy teenager in his last year of high school. Margo Roth Spiegelman is the most popular girl in school and Quentin has loved her since the day they met. One day Margo runs away from home (something she's done many times before) and Quentin decides to follow the clues to find her.

For both me and my sister the book was let down by the character Margo because we just didn't like her at all. But in the film there were a lot of changes to the way the character was presented. To me, in the book, it came across like she thought she was better than everyone else which is what Quentin originally believed. Whereas the film gave more of an impression that she didn't fit in with everyone else. Not that she was anything special, she was just different. 

Something we didn't completely agree with is the way Margo treats Quentin. A lot of the time she tells him how to live his life. To my sister this came across in a negative way but it to me it made a lot of sense. Personally, I find that I relate to Quentin because of the way he lives in his comfort zone and dreams of going beyond that but never does. He would live his entire life in a boring, safe way but Margo shows him that he can be so much more than that. I think this made sense to me  because I often feel like I need someone to tell me how to live. Living in your comfort zone is fine but if you wish for more than that, you often need someone to show you the way. 

The film is about friendship. You could argue that it's about Quentin's complete love for Margo and that is valid but, to me, the main story was a way to show real, believable friendship. I always find that films are best when you have a strong friendship which feels natural. My favourite part of the film is when Quentin, Ben, and Radar start singing the Pokemon theme song (the guy behind us in the cinema was singing along which made it even better) because it just show that they're friends who are in a difficult situation but that doesn't matter. 

Overall, I love Paper Towns. They made a lot of small changes from the book and even though that is usually annoying, they were good changes. Things that wouldn't have worked as well now made sense and felt more realistic. 

Comment below your opinions on the Paper Towns film. That's all for now, hope to see you next time. Bye

7 comments:

  1. I loved Paper Towns the book, but the film really disappointed me. I thought it was okay, but nothing extraordinary. I can't pinpoint what it was I didn't like, though.

    TheDonkeyInvasion - A Bookish Blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I think sometimes book adaptations just aren't what you pictures when reading. Because it's only in your head at the time, it's different for everyone

      Delete
  2. I have never seen this but sounds good !! great blog

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_oByHRU82o im doing a giveaway on my new video if you want to win :)

    Jade

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanna check it out, it sounds so good.

    xx
    Tyana
    cityofglitter.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Margo! (but after speaking to so many people, think I'm the only one who did..) She's exactly what I want to be- minus the 'using a guy who I know loves me' thing- but I'm currently stuck in my old Quentin ways. I do wish the film had talked more about what the whole strings/grass/vessel stuff because I adored those metaphors so much, but overall I thought it was really great <3 really great review post x

    goodmorningbelle.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. When I think about it, Margo is the kind of character is like to be but I think that's because I am so much like Quentin and he looked up to her so I should too. I forgot to mention the metaphors, I wish they'd been mentioned more too seen as they're one of John greens signature things x

      Delete