Thursday 18 June 2015

An Awkward Question: MakeUp

My last An Awkward Question post was about YouTube and I'd like to thank those of you who gave advice, it was very helpful. So today I thought I'd write another. If you don't know what An Awkward Question is, it is a blogging series I just started where I take a question or dilemma I have and ask you for your opinion. Most of things in this series will not normally be considered to be awkward but because I have a strange brain that struggles to understand most aspects of human life, I think that it is. My second awkward question of the series is: How do I start wearing makeup?

 I am a girl who will be sixteen in about four months so it seems strange to most people that I don't wear makeup. Most would assume that I do or think that because I don't, it means I'm super confident or in a constant battle against gender stereotypes. That isn't exactly the case. Because I wasn't very girly when I was younger and I don't spend a lot of time with people my own age, I missed out on that stage where my friends began wearing makeup. This has always been something that I quite regret as it also meant that I felt I haven't grown up at the same pace as everyone else. 
 Talking to my mum is very easy. I'm lucky in that I have a great relationship with my parents and I can say anything I want. This is why I don't understand why I find it so difficult to approach the topic of wearing makeup. Honestly, I don't even have to tell my mum, I could easily just wear makeup and she wouldn't care. It's not something she does herself but it's not something she'd have a problem with. Some of the issues I do have with wearing makeup is that all the people I know, know that I don't. For me, it would feel awkward to suddenly change. Although, I do realise that no one actually cares. If anything, it would be more normal because I would just be like everyone else. I don't know why in my head, this is such a big deal but it is.  There is always the fear, for me, of being judged or laughed at and I seem to have it in my head that I will be (as strange as that may seem).

 My questions today are: When did you start wearing makeup? Do you have any advice on talking to people about it/ did anyone even notice? Do you have any recommendations of products to start with or any helpful beauty gurus on YouTube who don't make it all seem so complicated? (Comment below or you can answer on my Twitter which is @ErinLea44)
That's all for now, hope to see you next time. Bye

4 comments:

  1. To be honest, I'm 18 and have only just started being interested in make-up let alone wearing it! Don't feel like you have to, wear it because you want to. But I don't think anyone would notice if I did! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I definitely used to think I should wear makeup because everyone else does but I realise now that didn't matter and have realised I actually want to xx

      Delete
  2. I started wearing makeup when I was 14 but please don't feel like you're missing out by not doing it. I gradually started wearing more as the weeks went by, starting with a bit of mascara, then concealer ect. I feel your struggle as I never wore makeup and I thought I'd get a weird reaction if I started, but no one seemed to mind. One warning though: if you have good skin, don't start wearing foundation. It's completely ruined my skin and now I get more spots and bigger pours and I wish I never did. Let me know how you get on and good luck. Remember to just have fun with it xxx

    http://izzyk1998.blogspot.co.uk/
    http://izzykreviews.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I do think I need to start small and just learn more instead of expecting to understand it all straight away. I've heard before that foundation is bad for your skin and I already don't have great skin so you're right, I probably shouldn't wear that at the moment xx

      Delete