Thursday 12 March 2015

Erin Writes #3 Writers Block

I can go months without having a single word to write in my books. It can be very annoying, especially if I've set myself a deadline. And I find that if I force myself to write, it is never as good. So today I thought I would share with you some tips to help with writers block. 


A lot of these ideas may seem obvious or might be different depending on you and how you like to write.

1. Go outside. Being around somewhere with beautiful views or somewhere calm can help with clearing your head and getting back inspiration to write. If possible, maybe go somewhere you could imagine your story taking place to really get into it. 

2. Be alone or be around people. Find the right situation for yourself that can give you ideas or confidence in what your doing. 

3. Read other books. By reading other books you can improve your own writing and vocabulary. This can also remind you of what you're doing with your story and where you'd like it to go.

4. Read over everything you've written. Start off by reading where you're up to so you'll have a clear idea, again, of the story. Then go on to read any old notes or other ideas you've had in the past, maybe you'll decide one of your old stories was better and you would rather write that.

5. Do something else creative. Try art work or building something to bring back your creativity.

6. Write about your characters. Think about the back story of your characters. Create a life for them with random facts like their favourite colour or food. That way you know your characters better and if you're struggling with speech in particular, it can give an idea of the kind of thing they'd say and do. 

7. Write the story behind your book. Think about what happened before it started. Find a place where it is set and learn about that place. Pick at every detail of the story and create a world like you see in many other books. 

8. Just forget about it. Don't push yourself into writing, wait for the words to come to you naturally. Writing a book is a long process but waiting till you are sure what you're writing is good will make the whole thing better.


I hope you found some of these tips helpful. Recently I haven't been writing much because I've not had to time but I have been thinking a lot about an idea of a TV show so I've just been writing notes about that. Remember you can follow my Good Reads page here where you can see where I'm up to with my reading challenge. That's all for now, hope to see you next time. Bye

6 comments:

  1. I have writers block a lot when it comes to blogging and these were some really useful tips thank you xxx

    http://izzyk1998.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to write a book and these were such amazing tips, thank you! xx
    I nominated you for the 'Versatile Award', you can check it out here: http://louleecutie.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/the-versatile-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could help. And thank you, I'll look at that now xx

      Delete
  3. These are good tips!
    Peace xo
    www.waitwhatok.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete