Thursday 9 October 2014

Looking for Alaska Book Review

I recently finished the John Green book Looking for Alaska and thought I would write a review for you. (This review will contain spoilers so if you do not like to know what happens then I advise you stop reading) 


 Looking for Alaska is the story of Miles Halter leaving home in Florida to go to Culver Creek Preparatory High School in Alabama. Here at Culver Creek Miles, or Pudge as his friends decide to call him, meets the Colonel and Alaska Young. In the short time in which they know each other, the three become incredibly close which for Pudge means falling completely in love with Alaska. Of course this comes with many complications. 
 The book is split into two parts, Before and After. At the end of Before, Alaska receives a phone call in the night and then asks her friends to create a distraction so that she can get away from the school without being noticed. The Colonel and Pudge do as she asks but by After they regret that decision. The second half of the book shows the devastation throughout the whole school when news breaks of Alaska being dead after crashing her car. We are then shown the struggle Alaska's friends face when trying to find out if this was an accident or if this was what she wanted all along. 

 I personally loved this book and read it faster than I imagined I would. In most of my book reviews you can probably see that I like short chapters and this book definitely did. I found myself thinking I'll only read one then seeing that the next chapter was only two pages long and deciding to just keep reading. The story was engaging and made me feel like I wanted to keep reading more and more as it went on. The mystery of After and the relationships in Before felt so real and perfectly written. All the characters were completely likable. I originally thought that Alaska would be the kind of character I was supposed to like but didn't, which is what happens in many stories like this, but that wasn't the case. I found Alaska interesting and a character you could relate to at parts in the book. 

 The only thing I didn't like quite so much was the ending. I found that it just didn't work for me and left me feeling a little bit like there wasn't one. In reality this would be quite a good ending, something realistic but I just felt like it didn't have an ending, the pages just stopped. Although I did find this to be disappointing, I can't imagine there would be an ending I did like because Alaska was dead and she wasn't coming back. 

 Looking for Alaska is just another amazing John Green book and I'm still waiting to read one of his books that I don't like. It's full of amazing quotes and characters and is definitely one I'd recommend. 
 My next book review will be on Where She Went (the sequel to If I Stay) which I have already began reading so hopefully that will be up soon. Be sure to check out my Good Reads page here for more short reviews. That's all for now, hope to see you next time.Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment