Saturday 16 January 2016

Films that Inspire Me to Make Films

For a very long time I've wanted to make films. At the age of 8, to a crowd of my own reflection, I gave a wonderful Oscars speech. My friend and I would always make videos on our crappy cameras thinking for some reason that they were Hollywood hits. Some of the best titles included Super Frog, Hopscotch Monster, and Invasion of the Dinos (which sadly never made it to production). I don't know what made us think of those things but I do know what inspires me to write now. So here are eight films that inspire me to make films:



X+Y. I only saw this film recently and I absolutely love it. The way this films shows illness and love and maths is perfect. It's the kind of story I want to tell and it was told the way I would want to tell it. One of my favourite things about this film is the colours which sounds strange but makes sense if you've seen it. 

Turbo Kid. Turbo Kid is really weird and if you don't like blood this is possibly the worst film you could watch. But for me it's great. It took a regular story and changed it to become something amazing and different. What stands out to me is the costumes especially of the characters Apple and Zeus. 

Rocks That Bleed. This is my favourite Bertie Gilbert film (so far) for a lot of reasons. And what sums that up is the final scene. The bright red light, the acting that is so subtle yet great, and the best version of the song Here Comes the Sun I've ever heard. You can watch Rocks that Bleed here.

Super Brainy Zombies. I think it's interesting how a story is told in such a short amount of time which is why I love a lot of short films. And I admire people who can do that. This film is great because it's serious but funny at the same time which is attempted in film a lot and I don't feel it always works out. You can watch Super Brainy Zombies here.

Super 8. To me what stands out in this film is the script and the relationship between the group of friends. I don't remember much about the film but one scene that stands out is when they're all sat eating and within the group there are multiple conversations going on. They're all talking over each other, it's chaotic and messy but it shows friendship accurately. 

Moonrise Kingdom. Wes Anderson films are in a similar style and this film shows that the most for me. I like it when you can see that a film has a certain director or writer and it would be nice to be one of those people by learning that from films like this.

Little Miss Sunshine. It's been a while since I've seen this film so I don't really remember but I do remember that I loved it. This is another one where it's the kind of story I'd like to tell and it's done in the way I'd like to tell it.

Kick Ass. So this is probably my favourite film and not just because of Hit-Girl (although she is great). What I love about this film is that when trying to make it people said they had to change a lot. But they said no because they wanted the film to be done their way. I appreciate that because if they had gone with those people who told them to change, it wouldn't be the film that it is. 

So that was eight films that inspire me to make films. Of course, I'd recommend any of these to you (stay away from Turbo Kid and Kick Ass if you don't like blood). That's all for now. Hope to see you next time, bye.

4 comments:

  1. what a great blog post !! I am now hungry haha !!! keep up the good work !!

    would mean the wolrd to me if you check out my new video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szikN98l_0A
    stay in touch

    Jade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And of course, I'll check out the video as soon as I can x

      Delete
  2. This is a great post, I like this idea and may do it sometime if you don't mind? Except I would just do films that inspire me:)
    I love Billy Elliot, Les Choristes and The Sound Of Music xxx
    www.rosieauthorwriting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I don't mind at all and I look forward to reading it. I love Billy Elliot too but I haven't seen the other two xxx

      Delete